The Threat Analyst will provide intrusion/incident monitoring and detection utilizing customer provided data sources, audit and monitoring tools at the enterprise level. The Threat Analyst will work closely with our Global Capability Center and will be onsite dedicated to a single client.
In addition the Threat Analyst believes and lives the Next Generation SOC guiding principles:
- Deliver quality security outcomes
- Drive efficient and timely operations
- Actualize continual improvement and innovation
- Protect the customer
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Actively participate in a 24x7 delivery team, which may include on-call and weekend work
- Analyze, document and report on potential security incidents identified in customer environments
- Work with partners to maintain an understanding of security threats, vulnerabilities, and exploits that could impact systems, networks, and assets
- Act as a coordinator for security events that require urgent response, containment and remediation
- Provide analysis on various security enforcement technologies including, but not limited to SIEM, anti-virus, content filtering/reporting, malware prevention, firewalls, intrusion detection systems, web application firewalls, messaging security platforms, vulnerability scanners etc.
- Perform knowledge transfers, document and train clients regarding mitigation of identified threats
- Provide ongoing recommendations to peers and customers on tuning and best practices
- Actively research current threats and attack vectors being exploited in the wild
- Other duties as assigned.
- One or more years of full-time professional experience in the Information Security field
- Experience working in a Security Operations Center (SOC), Managed Security Service (MSS), or enterprise network environment
- Excellent time management, reporting, and communication skills
- Ability to generate comprehensive written reports and recommendations
- Write professional emails
- Understanding of contemporary security architectures/devices such as firewalls, routers, switches, load balancers, remote access technologies, anti-malware, SIEM and AV
- Experience consuming Symantec MSSP services
- Experience with Symantec Endpoint Protection
- Experience with FireEye (entire suite)
- Experience with SIEM platforms preferred (ArcSight, QRadar, McAfee/Nitro, Splunk) a plus
- Experience interpreting log data from Palo Alto firewalls
- Familiarity with web based attacks, the OWASP Top 10
o Attack vectors and exploitation
o Direct (e.g. SQL Injection) versus indirect (e.g. cross-site scripting) attacks
- Familiarity with SANS top 20 critical security controls
- Understand the foundations of enterprise Windows security including Active Directory:
o Windows security architecture and terminology
o Privilege escalation techniques
o Common mitigation controls and system hardening
- Anti-Virus (AV) and Host Based Intrusion Prevention (HIPS)
o Experience in monitoring at least one commercial AV solution such as (but not limited to) McAfee/Intel, Symantec, Sophos or Trend Micro
o Ability to identify common false positives and make suggestions on tuning
o Understanding of root causes of malware and proactive mitigation
o Propagation of malware in enterprise environments
o Familiarity with web based exploit kits and the methods used
o Familiarity with concepts associated with Advanced Persistent Threats and “targeted malware”
o Experience with malware protection tools such as FireEye
o Understanding of malware mitigation controls in an enterprise environment.
- Network Based Attacks / System Based Attacks
o Denial of Service Attacks
o HTTP Based DoS Attacks
o Network Based DoS Attacks
o Brute force attacks
o Covert channels, egress and data exfiltration techniques
- Basic understanding of vulnerability assessment tools such as vulnerability scanners and exploitation frameworks
o Familiarity with vulnerability scoring systems such as CVSS
- At least one certification in Security including Security+, GSEC, GCIA, GCIH, CISSP, CISM or other security specific vendor/product certifications.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree from four-year college or university in Information Technology, Information Security/Assurance, Engineering or similar area of study; 5 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience preferred.
- Demonstrated understanding of Information Security and Networking required.
- Demonstrated technical knowledge of current network security, network hardware, protocols, and standards required.
- Proven ability to make decisions and perform complex problem solving activities under pressure.